Saturday, November 1, 2008

24/7 is just a dream now...

One thing I'll never get used to in France is the lack of 24/7 supermarkets. Or even a convenience store.

Here in Cergy Le Haut, the supermarket is open from Mondays to Fridays, and until 1pm on Sat. And woe to you if you oversleep on Sat, cos there's no way you're going to stock that teeny fridge unless you travel to the neighbouring "cities".

I didn't realise that the first two weeks I was here. Till then, I hadn't understood the doomsayers who warned me about starving in France. Starve? In France? The land of haute cuisine? I scoffed at them all... until the first Sunday I was here.

Picture me packing my nice recyclable grocery bag on Saturday evening (they're very big on recycling here, and that's a good habit I've picked up), and making my way to the supermarket in sweats. Only to realise that it was *look of horror* CLOSED. Closed, and there was NOTHING in my fridge except an egg.

So there I went back to my room, forced to make my egg last over the weekend. Thank goodness I also had a pack of chips, otherwise, Monday would probably see me weakened and trying to crawl out of my room, foaming at the mouth while having delusions about food.

Hm... I'm still not sure that wouldn't happen. I dreamt of dining at Carousel's buffet last night, and woke up feeling utterly sorry for myself. I miss the enormous dessert spread, and the fresh pacific lobsters at the seafood bar! And the HUGE scallops with broccoli which makes an occasional appearance (and which also does a hellva disappearing act too, aided by the throngs of greedy diners who scoop up heaps of steaming scallop and leave the veggies like second-rate poor cousins).

Dang. Miss the 24/7 Cold Storage near my home in Marine Parade. At this moment, I'll settle for a 7-11, even with its bad sandwiches and inflated prices. But which has wonderful Slurpees that give a sugar kick with oomph at 3 am in the morning.

And MacDelivery!!!!! No one's going to deliver food to me in the wee hours of the night anymore. Help!

No comments: