Thursday, November 13, 2008

Stairway to fatigue and a fantastic view



Visited the Basilique du Sacre Coeur (Sacred Heart Basilica) today. Had initially felt a little dubious about visiting a church (the last time was over a decade ago when my dad was baptised), but boy, was it worth it.

Two tips, though, for the unwary. Wear hiking shoes, and never, ever stop for the numerous black guys thronging the base of the hill. And warn your little kids too, if you happen to bring them! Luq was cornered when I went to the restroom, and by the time I came out, this black guy was happily tying a friendship band around his wrist. Silly me tried to find out what was going on, and another black guy seized the opportunity to tie another band around my wrist. Total cost? 20 euro for two bands that I could probably have made myself.

O well. After running this gauntlet, it was time to scale the hill. Luq had thumbed his nose at the tourists who opted to be carried to the top via tram, so we hoofed it to the top. Am I out of shape. I was gasping for breath before we were three-quarters of the way up =(


Got there finally, and what a view! The entire city was stretched out from one horizon to the other, crisply clear and breathtakingly gorgeous. Not surprisingly, there were lots of tourists snapping away, at the skyline and each other, smiling and posing for their loved ones. Me, I was more interested in shooting the panorama, but I did get a really good shot of Luq. *pats myself on the back*


There was also a guy performing with a football - juggling, kicking, etc - on an impromptu stage near the church. He was pretty good, judging from the audience reception. I didn't really take a lot of notice of him, but I did feel he had a good eye for location. From the other side of where I was (which was mostly where the fans were grouped), he was skylined against the city, and probably made for a lot of great shots.

The church itself was quite nice. Built in the Romano-Byzantine style, it contrasts strikingly with the heavier gothic architecture of other churches such as the Notre Dame de Paris. Its first stone was actually laid in 1875, and was completed by 1914, but it could not be consecrated due to the break-out of World World One. Thus, it was only consecrated in 1919, after the end of the war.

Very hushed, with wonderful stained glass motifs and lots of candles inside. High heels are definitely not encouraged! I kept to the carpeted areas where I could, and tiptoed where I couldn't.


The must-visit places, though, are the dome and crypt. We only had time for one, so opted for the dome. There was no escalator, so we had to climb all 300 steps (no, I didn't count them, there was a sign warning us of the number of steps involved) to the top. The spiral stairway is not recommended for the faint of heart or claustrophobic. The individual steps were pretty small, and if anyone misses a step... well, it's a long, rounded way to the bottom, and breaking one's neck on a church at the summit of the "mount of the martyrs" will probably be the fast-track to heaven, regardless of religion, since this was also the site of Druidic and Roman temples.


Anyway, 300 steps later, a fantastic view awaits. This is the highest point in the city (save for the Eiffel Tower) and it offered birds' eye views of the city with literally every step. My verdict? Worth the climb, and I'm as far away from being a health nut as anyone can get. Truly wonderful, and I wouldn't mind going there again - only this time, I'm lugging a tripod up as well. Oh, and leaving the high-heeled boots behind.

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is feel good......