Monday, September 1, 2008

Opening a French bank account

Cergy Prefecture, 12.00 noon
Opening a French bank account in France is easy. I had done that even before stepping foot on the country, but activating the account was far more complicated. The email I received merely said that I need to show my passport, and everything would be settled for me. The first time I came to the bank, however, they told me that I need a proof of residence, which I can get from my hostel officials. I was disappointed, but figured it was part of the due process, and maybe I just hadn’t understood.

The second time, I brought my proof of residence, duly signed and stamped – this time, I was told that I needed a certain print-out which the school coordinator would have for me. Went looking all over the school for her office, only to be told that she wasn’t in that day (Friday) and to come back again on Monday. On enquiring further, however, I found out that the “print-out” which the bank officials referred to was actually part of a stack of letters which I had received together with my student pack – and, of course, they were all in French!

Why the bank would address letters in French to a non-French speaking student, I simply do not understand. This particular account opening process was for international students, so you would assume they would keep that in mind. After opening the letters and seeing that they were all unintelligible, I had simply thrown up my hands and shelved them all neatly on my (almost empty) bookcase.

OK, third time’s the charm, they say, so there I went again. Queued up for about ten minutes, and was told that the officer’s colleague would attend to me – but I’d have to wait for 15 minutes. Waiting right now, and there’s still no sign of him/her after 20 minutes. Hope nothing goes wrong this time. Just to be safe, I’ve brought the entire stack of letters, my passport, my student card, proof of residence, etc. Don’t want to have to come back to the bank again. To be frank, I’m pretty tired of the entire merry-go-round.

Guess what, it wasn’t the end of the story. First, the second bank officer couldn’t find my file, and had to borrow my passport to cross-check the name. Then, he came in, and told me very apologetically that my file couldn’t be found. I had actually seen it the first time I went there, so I knew it was around somewhere. Told him so, and even pointed out the bank officer who had located it last week.

At last, he came in toting my big purple file – but his superior had not signed one of the documents, so I still couldn’t get my card, or deposit any cash in my account! I’ve to go back tomorrow, between nine to 11 o’clock. Gosh, what a very bureacratic bank!

No comments: