Friday, August 29, 2008

Settling in...

It's amazing how a few days in any country can make anyone feel at home. I've already learnt how to:
1) Book my train ticket at the self-ticketing kiosks
2) Tell the correct train to take
3) Figure out the best ways to get to the town square, wearing heels and slippers (they require different routes, due to the steep slopes at the shortcut)
4) Get to campus without getting lost
5) Find the best-tasting pastries around
6) Survive on 2.5 euros per meal or less (although that requires a little scrimping and some creativity, since the school cafeteria doesn't seem to be fully open for business yet - at least, I've not seen any meals being offered for 2.50 euros)

Also done some grocery shopping, although the Lipton Clear Green Tea I bought yesterday tasted really funny, and didn't look green at all. =( Was pretty intrigued by a whole canister of instant lemon tea for 1.80 euros, though, as well as a tin of instant chocolate drink for 3-plus euros.

Hm... all that walking must also be good for my figure. The jeans which fit me perfectly all the way until I exited Charles de Gaulle Airport look a little baggy now. Quite sad, actually. That pair's my oldest pair of jeans, and are probably a decade old, dating from all the way back when Luq won a one-year free shopping spree at Giordano. Ah, those were good times.

No comments: