Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Off to France!

07 25 hrs London time

Finally got off the plane after a butt-punishing 14-odd hours. The flight wasn't too bad, actually. Got a complimentary upgrade to Premium Economy courtesy of Qantas Airlines, and I have to admit, these seats are way more comfortable than the ones I had actually paid for: i.e. economy. A new class of seats offered by Qantas, Premium Economy seems to be their way of placating customers who don't wish/can't afford to pay Business/First Class prices, but wouldn't mind spending a little more for just a tad more comfort. As promised, the seats had more leg room than Economy seats - a luxury that might be said to be wasted on my short girth. Couldn't budge my leg rest, so ended up sliding down the seat and pulling myself back up for most of the night.

Think I might have carpet burn from all that friction, but I guess that's not the usual flight hazard.And if I needed compensation for the extremely slight discomfort which might have been incurred just about anywhere else, really, the yummilicious flight attendants more than made up for it (fine, I'm exaggerating). The air stewardesses are OK, but Qantas (at least on the Singapore-London route) has some of the best-looking air stewards around. Real eye candy for the ladies.

Served supper about two hours into the flight. Chose fish over beef, and got breaded fish with hor fun, which I had to eat with a plastic knife and fork. Well, there's always a first time for everything. The food right at the top was pretty good, but everything below mid-level was plasticky and chewy. The hor fun was hard at the edges. Was seated in the middle of the plane, the second of four in a row. Totally hemmed in, so had to disturb my fellow passenger on the aisle each time I went to the bathroom. Was hoping for a view of the night sky, but mine was the red-eye, and every passenger obediently closed the shutters for the duration of the flight.

Sigh.Couldn't really sleep. Was quite restless. Read, tried to sleep, woke up... The sequence kept repeating itself. Two hours before landing, I decided to check out the in-flight entertainment system. Pretty cool. Relatively big screen which you pull out from your handle bar. Watched Ironman.Was served a breakfast of omelette with mushrooms shortly after. Really hungry by then, since I didn't have much the day before. Tucked into my food with gusto, but lost all appetite after discovering that what I had taken for some sort of soggy bread was actually some unidentied bacon. Ew.

Landing was quite smooth, but Heathrow is HUGE!

No comments: